Frequently Asked Questions
What is Manic Digger?
- See Compatibility for a table with example computers.
Game is tested to give 75 FPS (vsync) on high visibility setting on NVidia GeForce 7600 GT, Core2Duo 1.86Ghz. Turning off web browsers and other programs greatly speeds up game - works much smoother freshly after system restart.
Linux and Mac are supported via Mono - see How to play Manic Digger on Linux for details
What are the major planned features?
See To Do list. Everything that is added to game is first mentioned on that list.
- War mod.
- Infinite world height.
- Optimizations to run on all computers possible.
What are new features compared to Minecraft?
- Open source
- Monster editor
- Cuboid tool, and Diagonal rails
- Server texture customization
- Cheats (hacks)
- Unicode keyboard input
- Server hosting on dynamic IP
- Java not required
Minecraft features that are not available
Mac support- confirmed to work under Mac version of Mono.
- Web browser applet.
- Monsters (Testing/Nightly Builds)
- Tools and weapons
- Doors (Testing/Nightly Builds)
- Flowing water (Testing/Nightly Builds)
- Fire (At least, one that burns;Testing/Nightly Builds)
- Map generator - cliffs. (Testing/Nightly Builds)
- Redstone circuits
- Crafting interface
- Custom servers and mapping tools
How do I Craft?
To craft, place some crafting tables on the ground in front of you. Then place the blocks on top of the table from a Crafting Recipe. Once the desired blocks are on the crafting tables press "c" on the crafting table and confirm the blocks that you are making. Pick up the new crafted blocks!
How to start server
I can't connect to my own server, even when other players can connect
Type "127.0.0.1" as server address in game launcher window and click connect. (This is caused by modems/routers introducing private IP address).
How to use minecarts
Stand on rail and press 'V'. Check game options or Controls page for other keys. (Nightly: Aim at Rails and Press 'E'.)
Press R to respawn. Or press F3, F4 to fly.
To help get crash fixed copy "My Documents\ManicDiggerCrash.txt" file and paste it (or pastebin link) on forum/wiki.
Placed blocks disappear
Block disappear when there is no response from server in 5 seconds.
- Server is overloaded.
- Placing block that is not in inventory (zero amount).
- Server does not allow you to build on one half of the world due to anti-vandal.
How to set build areas